The transition to fall is a reminder that the holiday season is right around the corner, and what better time than now to update holiday dinner party playlists, or add to one’s holiday music collection?
Motown Christmas, a collaborative release from Motown Gospel and Motown Records, is a stunning holiday album featuring soulful, inspired interpretations of seasonal classics and a must-have addition to any music collection and will help spread the joy of the season.
Produced by Aaron Lindsey, Grammy Award winner and Motown Gospel Vice President of A&R, Motown Christmasfeatures mesmerizing duets and flawless solos from an impressive lineup of Grammy Award winning singers and dynamic signature voices including KEM & Janice Gaines (“Bethlehem”); Ne-Yo & Tasha Cobbs (“The Christmas Song” ); Tasha Cobbs (“O Come All Ye Faithful”); Smokie Norful (“O Holy Night”); Gregory Porter & Anita Wilson (“Go Tell It On The Mountain/Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”); and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and Kevin Ross (“It’s Christmas Time”). Under the direction of Lindsey, who recorded with live musicians to exceptional sonic effect, the songs boast the soulful, feel-good signature Motown sound with a little heart pulling praise and worship added to the mix. “I’m hoping this album draws people together while reminding us of the reason that we celebrate Christmas, which is because we have a savior,” says Lindsey. “We all love getting gifts, this music is even a gift, but the real gift is from heaven.”
Ne-Yo and Tasha Cobbs, marquee artists for Motown and Motown Gospel respectively, certainly gift listeners with heavenly harmonies on a spare yet powerful rendering of the holiday classic The Christmas Song. Anita Wilson’s R&B- and jazz-infused gospel vocals are the perfect complement to Gregory Porter’s warm, earthy tones as the pair delivers an intriguing mash-up of the well-known spiritual Go Tell It On The Mountain with the timeless Motown hit “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”. And the silky smooth vocals of newcomer Kevin Ross add a fresh dose of R&B swagger to the classic crooning of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles on It’s Christmas Time.
With a nod to the historic, soulful, feel-good musical legacy of Motown Records, and a full embrace of the uplifting worship of Gospel music that points to the “reason for the season,” Motown Christmas raises the bar for holiday albums to come.
MOTOWN CHRISTMAS TRACK LISTING
- It’s Christmas Time Smokey Robinson & Kevin Ross
- This Christmas Brian Courtney Wilson & Gene Moore
- Go Tell it On the Mountain Gregory Porter & Anita Wilson
- Angels We Have Heard on High Chrisette Michele & Kierra Sheard
- Little Drummer Boy Tye Tribbett
- The Christmas Song Neyo & Tasha Cobbs
- Christmas Overture Carol of The Bells / My Favorite Things
- Joy To The World Micah Stampley & Sheri Jones-Moffett
- Bethlehem KEM & Janice Gaines
- O Come All Ye Faithful Tasha Cobbs
- Silent Night VaShawn Mitchell
- Mary Did You Know India.Arie & Gene Moore
- Mary’s Revelation Interlude The Aaron Lindsey Orchestra
- O Holy Night Smokie Norful
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Babyface & Toni Braxton
- Silent Night (Bonus Track) The Temptations