Inspired People recording artist Charles Jenkins launches the national Inspired People™ Music Songwriting Contest for the forthcoming CD project, scheduled to record in April 2013. The contest started on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 12:00 a.m. CT and will continue through Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. CT. The winner will be announced on Friday, March 8, 2013. See contest rules and regulations below.
Jenkins is a GRAMMY® Award-winning songwriter. He penned “You’ve Been A Friend” for Israel Houghton, which he recorded on his album, Israel and the New Breed Alive in South Africa. That CD won a 2005 GRAMMY® Award for best traditional gospel CD, and everyone who worked on the CD, including Jenkins, received a GRAMMY® Award. Jenkins also wrote the #1 praise and worship anthem “Awesome,” from The Best of Both Worlds CD project, which has remained at #1 on Billboard’s Hot Gospel Songs chart for nearly 20 weeks. Jenkins and Fellowship Chicago received eight Stellar Gospel Music Award nominations for their critically-acclaimed #1 debut CD, The Best of Both Worlds. The nominations include Artist of the Year, Song of the Year (awarded to songwriter), New Artist of the Year, CD of the Year, Choir of the Year, Traditional CD of the Year, Traditional Choir of the Year and Recorded Music Package of the Year.
With the extraordinary success of the single and CD project, Jenkins wants to give an aspiring songwriter the opportunity to place a song on the new project. “This is our way to inspire songwriters, give back, and create opportunities for the next generation and beyond. We want someone to write a worship song to inspire the world to sing!”
Contest begins December 17th, 2012 at midnight. Entry deadline is February 22, 2013.
1. Contestants must submit a song NO LONGER THAN 4 MINUTES OF PLAYING TIME. The song must be in the genre/style of GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN/WORSHIP. Each song submitted must be original work written by the contestant and may not infringe on any copyright. Songs may have multiple co-writers, but only one writer may submit per application. The submitted recording should be a fair representation of how the writer would perform the song live with minimum accompaniment (guitar or piano only). Contestant may enter multiple songs. Each song submitted must have both instrumentation and lyrics.
1a. Writers submitting material must affirm that he/she is of at least 18 years of age.
2. Inspired People Music Competition is not responsible for late, damaged, or misappropriated entries.
3. Ten (10) finalists will be selected by an undisclosed, independent team of judges selected by Inspired People. The ultimate contest winner will be chosen by our Inspired People team and celebrity judges to be announced. Songs will be judged based on originality, melody, composition and lyrics. The quality of production will not be taken into consideration. The contest winner will receive a music publishing deal with Inspired People, a cash advance on royalties and more as outlined below. Finalists will be required to sign a Songwriter Agreement and Copyright Assignment with Inspired People to take effect ONLY if the finalist is selected as the ultimate contest winner. The Songwriter Agreement shall entitle Inspired People to co-publishing in the song. Finalists who fail to sign the necessary agreements will be disqualified from the contest.
4. The winner will be notified via email address provided by contestant and will be posted on the Inspired People Music website by Friday, March 8, 2013. The winner will have 48 hours to respond and must sign an affidavit of eligibility release within 7 days of notification. The affidavit will state that the submitted song/songs are original work, that the contestant holds the right to the song/songs and that the contestant is free to enter into a publishing contract. Failure to sign and return the affidavit within 7 days or provision of false information will result in disqualification and a subsequent finalist will be named the contest winner.
5. Entry constitutes permission of Inspired People to use winner’s name, image, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
Grand Prize – The Grand Prize winner will receive:
1. Winning song placement on Charles Jenkins & Fellowship Chicago’s next album (to be performed by Fellowship Chicago Choir);
2. Music Publishing deal with Inspired People, LLC
3. $1000 cash advance against royalties;
4. An Apple computer; and
5. A gift card to a major retailer.
1. All songs must be in MP3 format and under 4 minutes total playing time
2. Song must be in the genre/style of GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN/WORSHIP
3. A complete lyric sheet
4. Completed entry form
5. Contestant must be at least 18 years of age.
6. Contestant must be free to enter a publishing contract.
HOW TO ENTER: Contestants must submit entries to Inspired People, LLC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inspired People will begin accepting entries on December 17, 2012. Contestant will receive an email confirming entry. The entry deadline is midnight on February 22, 2013.
Eligibility: This contest is open only to legal residents of the United States residing in the continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. Entrants must be 18 years or older. Employees of the Inspired People, Fellowship Church, sponsors, their families, subsidiaries, and affiliates are not eligible to participate in this contest. This contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. By participating, entrants agree to these official rules and agree to accept all decisions of Inspired People with respect to this contest as final.
General Considerations: Prizes will be shipped to the winner at the address provided on the entry form. No substitutions, cash equivalents, or transfers of the prizes are permitted. Prizes will be shipped to winner by Inspired People at no cost. Winner is responsible for the payment of all applicable federal, state and local taxes associated with the contest prizes.
Limitation of Liability: Neither the Inspired People nor any of its affiliates or sponsors are responsible for printing or typographical errors in any contest-related materials; for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible entries; or for transactions that are processed late or incorrectly or are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction. Inspired People reserves the right to cancel or modify the contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the contest, as determined by Inspired People in its sole discretion. By entering, participants release and hold harmless Inspired People, its affiliates and sponsors and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to persons, including death, or property damage resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize, participation in this promotion, or while traveling to, preparing for, or participating in any prize-related activity.
Use of Information: Except where prohibited by law, entry constitutes permission to Inspired People, its affiliates and sponsors to use each winner’s name, city and state of residence, likenesses, and any statements made by winner regarding the contest and the prizes, for publicity purposes (including, without limitation, use on the web site of Inspired People and/or its affiliates) without any compensation and for purposes of complying with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Finalist Songwriter Agreement. Each finalist will be required to sign a Songwriter Agreement which, if the finalist is deemed the WINNER, will assign and transfer 50% of all right, title and interest in and to the copyright of the winning song to Inspired People, LLC and 100% administration rights in and to the song. The Songwriter Agreement shall only take effect for the winning song and will be deemed null and void for any finalists who are not named the contest winner. Finalists who refuse or fail to sign the Songwriter Agreement will be disqualified from the competition and may be replaced by an alternate finalist.